TUESDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2008

OK, before you get all over me about being in the "real" world, just give me a minute to explain ;-)

I bought a set of plans for the Joli boat from Philip Thiel. Unfortunately, this is not the right "season" in my life to really start building a boat. So, should I just wait and dream, or should I make some kind of forward progress?

My intent here is to keep a journal of my progress. I'll be using Google Sketchup to build my virtual boat. I'm sure that along the way I'll run across problems that need solving, trouble keeping on task, and moments of inspiration.

I'll include pictures and video as I progress. Click on any picture if you'd like to see it larger.

Maybe I'm crazy, but follow along and see what you think

Saturday, April 4, 2009

There’s Someone Who’s Actually Building A Boat

Ok, I know there are many people out there who are actually building boats and not just talking about it but I’m particularly interested in one at the moment.

You’ve heard me mention Bryan Lowe before. He built an Escargot several years ago and he shared that experience with us on the web. His story has been a real inspiration to me.

Well, he’s at it again. I’m so excited to follow along as he builds a Micro Shanty. He plans to have this boat finished for the Center for Wooden Boats Home Built Boats Weekend in Seattle on July 25 and 26. I’m really hoping to join him on that weekend for the show. He’s also promised me a trip on the Snohomish in Shambala, his Escargot. I can’t wait!

So, what does a Micro Shanty look like? What’s his inspiration? Where can I go to find out more? I thought you’d never ask ;-)

This looks like a fun project and I’m looking forward to seeing how Bryan handles this one.

I’ve started on a floor plan, (AGAIN!), for my Joli. I wrote about my logic on interior dimensions here. Fortunately that work has not been in vain because the same things apply to the rectangular shape that Philip Thiel originally designed.

It was very exciting to hear from Joshua Colvin this past week. He is the editor of Small Craft Advisor magazine. He asked me to write an article about Shanty Boats. This has been a real honor to be asked to write something, but I felt like Bryan has a longer history on this subject so I passed Bryan’s name on to Josh. It will be interesting to see if Bryan will have something published in this magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment