TUESDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2008

OK, before you get all over me about being in the "real" world, just give me a minute to explain ;-)

I bought a set of plans for the Joli boat from Philip Thiel. Unfortunately, this is not the right "season" in my life to really start building a boat. So, should I just wait and dream, or should I make some kind of forward progress?

My intent here is to keep a journal of my progress. I'll be using Google Sketchup to build my virtual boat. I'm sure that along the way I'll run across problems that need solving, trouble keeping on task, and moments of inspiration.

I'll include pictures and video as I progress. Click on any picture if you'd like to see it larger.

Maybe I'm crazy, but follow along and see what you think

Monday, February 9, 2009

A Floor Plan in Sketchup

I decided to work at this boat idea from a different angle this time. I’m going to start working on a floor plan in Sketchup. This will make it easier to place 3 dimensional items later on. It will also give me a chance to work on the single beds in the back.

It turns out that the dinette in Philip’s original drawing is about 44 inches wide. I checked in our Vintage Camp Trailer, and found out ours is only 36 inches wide. I think this might help in making the rear bunks into singles. Also, If I cut the rear dinette bench at an angle, It makes it even easier. A narrower table also opens up the walkway in the kitchen/dinette area. This will help with traffic flow through the center of the boat.

Larger Video

Unfortunately, if I make single bunks in the rear, I will lose the rear closet. This may be a problem since storage is at a premium in a boat. Who knows?

Larger Video

The video above shows how I can start placing frames using the floor plan in Sketchup.

Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment